07 September 2005

KEEP VILLAGE SCHOOL OPEN

7 September 2005

As a mum of three sons I know that education is vital from an early age - well it seems that my two-year-old son will be denied the opportunity of going to school at three-years-old. They are talking of closing our village school at Garnswllt, and the alternatives offered are over two miles away, too far for me to take and pick him up - the bus service is not regular enough, so there is no way I can get him there and back.

When I brought this up with Swansea Council - the answer I got is that they do have to provide transport for nursery children only primary and above.

So to save a few thousand pounds, my son and all the future babies and nursery children in Garnswllt will be denied the right to go to school until they reach primary age - so they will not get the chance to learn social skills and how to interact like they would if they go to school at three-years-old.

So, ask any parent what price do you put on your child's future and education, because we already know what price that Swansea county does.

Miss J Robinson, Lon-y-Felin, Garnswllt, Ammanford